Friday, June 27, 2008

Ominous

om·i·nous [om-uh-nuhs] Pronunciation Key –adjective
1.portending evil or harm; foreboding; threatening; inauspicious: an ominous bank of dark clouds.

When I received the 7:10 am text message from Mrs. Joyce that their flight to Omaha was canceled I knew it was going to be a rough day. Sure enough I learned once I arrive at the airport my flight was bumped to 9:20 pm, a two hour delay. It seems there is some nasty weather in Central Nebraska today and causing delays and cancellations all day long. Whodathunkit...nasty weather in Central Nebraska during the summer? I always tell Tjitske I want to experience three things: an earthquake, a tornado, and to shoot the hot dog gun at a Phillies game. Now that #2 is looking like more and more of a reality I think I want to change my list...of course shooting the hot dog gun stays on the list!

So Speedo released the design of their Team USA LZR Racer today. I must say it looks pretty nice. Of course we all must remember that the suit will not win any gold medals, set any world records or make any teams. A swim suit, no matter how much money and technology goes into it, is not a substitute for consistent practice attendance and hard work. The non-swimming media is going to be all over this story (there was a piece in Sports Illustrated last week and the cover story in USA Today this morning) this coming week, leading up to the Games, and during the swimming competition in Beijing. It makes an interesting story and the non-swimming media will always care about selling advertising and copies more than anything else. Its up to us to focus on the real stories of the meets.

In the time it took me to write this post the flight was delayed another hour and a half. I'm now scheduled to leave at 10:50 tonight. At least I will get to see most of the Phillies game.

No comments: